Monday, March 19, 2012

Sleeping In Never Felt So Right

Yesterday morning I was able to sleep in.  No alarm.  Most days I would never have appreciated this, but it dawned on me that every morning, Blagojevich is forced to wake up at 6 a.m.  Every morning.  I imagine fluorescent lights being turned on.  A loud buzzer in the prison cell.  I was grateful to hear the birds chirping.


A new day.  A fresh start.  New adventures.  Days in prison have been described as a scene from, "Groundhog Day."  Same old thing.  Funny.  That's how I describe my own life sometimes.  No more. 


I met up with my younger daughter.  Both my girls are my best friends.  They're brilliant, funny, independent women.  When I told her I was trying to make the most of the next 14 years, she realized she is the same age now as Blago's younger daughter will be when he gets out of prison.  She reflected on all the milestones big and small since she was 9 years old.  So much to be missed.  I was grateful that I had been there with her. 


If anyone out there has a young child, always know that your child's life is just like a swing.  You push them in the air as an infant, and the swing comes back at you with a young adult.  I swear, I have no idea where that time goes.  Pictures and scrapbooks won't help you.  I looked at the cutest photo of my 14 year old son when he was 4 years old.  I asked myself, "Who was that?"  Blago will be talking to his daughters every day.  It might be for only one minute, but that minute is going to be full.  I'm grateful for all my minutes with my children.  I promise myself to make sure I don't take that time for granted.  

1 comment:

  1. Today my roommate of years now came into my room, as she does every morning, to wake me up, talk about our nights, and decide where to get breakfast. I wonder what Blago's roommate is like.
    We decided on Kanela. I think I will indulge today on the marscapone french toast with whipped cream and walnuts. Of course with engulfing all the flavors down with a cup of coffee that tastes as sweet as this city, and a conversation that will keep us smiling for hours.
    I wonder if Blago will decide on the corn flakes today, or the thick mixture of substances that can only be described as goo.... Chasing it all down with a cup of dirt and water, hold the sugar.

    ReplyDelete