Sunday, April 22, 2012

That Which Won't Kill Me, Postpones The Inevitable; So Drink Up!

The last time I drank was 1978 in Acapulco.  Too many tequila sunrise drinks.  I danced through an earthquake. I've only had wine since then.   What a pity.


It's time I learned how to drink.  The guys I work with have a pretty good idea of what makes a perfect cocktail and we're on the road, so what better adventure than learning the art of ordering a proper mix.  One fella described how his mom would ask him to make her a Whiskey Sour. "Two maraschino cherries, please."  Loved the '60's when my cousins would get together and play while the adults sat around the basement wet bar.  


I'm always the one at a banquet or wedding asking the other women what they're drinking.  I haven't a clue what to order.  So the first night out I ordered an iconic drink, a Gin & Tonic.  Superb taste and I loved the anchovy stuffed olives.  The key is making it with Bombay Sapphire gin.  The next night I ordered a classic Martini.   It was so smooth, it made the pearls on my neck feel warm.  The after dinner drink I fell in love with is a B&B Liqueur.  God bless the Benedictine monks who came up with this.  I tried a Whiskey Sour, but it's not for me, even with the extra cherry.  The overall winner was a Long Island Iced Tea.  Oh..my.


Last night, the table next to me asked what the beer choices were.  They jumped at Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  It's a wheat beer laced with fruit.   It dawned on me that it's going to be a long time before Blago can enjoy one.  The waiter brought my Summer Shandy and I raised the glass to freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment