Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Taste of Freedom

Last month I was on the road and listened to an intriguing "60 Minutes" interview on the radio. The story focused on a young man who was born and raised in a prison camp in North Korea.  Can you imagine what that was like?  I can't.  Nothing to eat except watered down soup.  He was always hungry, but he didn't know any other life.



The man was in his 20's when a new prisoner came in and talked about the food outside of camp.  He told tales of spices that existed outside the chained fences.  The young man was so determined to taste the foods, that he and the new prisoner hatched a plan to escape.  Yet, while climbing the fence, the new prisoner was electrocuted.  The young man escaped. 



When asked by the reporter what the best thing about freedom is, the young man replied, "So many wonderful things to eat."  Since I started this practice in gratitude for my freedom, I'm thrilled when I'm out to eat, or at the grocery store.  I knew I wasn't crazy.  I walk down the aisles grateful for the selection from the bakery to produce.  Never gave it much thought before.  I insist that everyone order something different when I'm out at a restaurant so I can test all the dishes.  



I  took my son and daughter to Taste of Chicago last weekend.  Yes, it was crowded.  But it was fun.  People were out enjoying what some of Chicago's restaurants have to offer.  Loved the spinach pizza.  The spicy empanadas were perfect. The weather was beautiful.  I was grateful for The Taste of Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment