Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Final Kiss

My father-in-law passed away late last night.  He was in a nursing home, as he put it, "just waiting to die."  St. Peter didn't hesitate to open the gates for him. A finer man you won't know.  He was love.   

I stopped by to visit him a few days ago.  We watched another Cubs loss together.  As I was leaving, he took my hand and kissed it.  "You were a wonderful daughter-in-law.  Thank you."  Thank YOU, Dad.  

My husband regrets that his dad never saw a Cubs championship.  I told him that grown men and women, grandchildren, widows will ALL be in mourning for their dad the day the Cubs win.

I'm grateful for that final loving touch.  Grateful that I was with my husband when he received the news. I can't imagine learning your loved one is gone over the phone, and then returning to a room filled with strangers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment