Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day and The Hollow Men

Father's Day is coming up.  We'll visit my father-in-law and be so grateful that he's with us. Grateful that we can hug him. Grateful that my husband and my son can go over my son's baseball stats with him.  My dad's been gone a long time.  Sucks.  I adored him.  He adored me.  I'm grateful to have those memories. 

When I watched Blago walk into prison, he might have been thinking of T.S. Eliot's poem, The Hollow Men.  "This is the way the world ends....  Not with a bang, but a whimper."  I'm sorry his kids have to see him in prison, but how lucky that they still can see him. 

My dad came to this country with nothing and built a prosperous life.  He was the epitome of the immigrant success story.  He was proud of his children.  Blago must be so grateful this week that his dad didn't see him in prison.  His dad came from Serbia to America for the same reason my dad came, a better life for his children. Imagine how proud his dad was of his son, the governor.  Now,"he's a son of Serbia no more."  "This is the way the world ends...."

The Hollow Men are empty of faith and moral strength.  They live only for themselves, and fail to choose between good and evil.  I'm grateful that my father, my husband, my father-in-law are all good men.  Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment